Photograph depicts the Lion's Gate Bridge as seen from the Stanley Park Seawall near the Figurehead of the Empress of Japan. Construction on Lion's Gate Bridge started in 1937, partly in an effort to create jobs during the Great Depression. Construction also started in part because of the influence of the wealthy Guinness family who owned a great portion of the British Properties in West Vancouver. They wanted a bridge connecting West Vancouver to the city of Vancouver to increase the value of their properties. The bridge was complete in 1938 and officially dedicated in 1939 by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.
Dirt path and paved rest area with benches in foreground of image; masthead from a ship in shape of dragon positioned in garden on rest area so that it faces the harbour; Lion's Gate Bridge spans background of image with three stack steamship passing on water.