Photograph depicts the Stanley Park Pavilion. The Swiss chalet style Pavilion was constructed in 1911 and served as the social gathering place in Stanley Park for many years. Today it houses a concession and banquet rooms for special events.
Pond with circular insets in foreground of image; expansive lawn behind pond; dark wood and stone two story house-like structure; hearts carved into balcony railing of structure; trees in background.
Photograph depicts the view of the North Shore from the swimming pool at Lumberman's Arch. The pool at Lumberman's Arch was filled and drained weekly by rising tides. In 1995, new regulations deemed the pool unsanitary and a water park was installed in its place.
Rocky shore and tidal fill pool with rock wall in foreground; winding seawall in left of image; ships passing under the Lion's Gate Bridge in middle of image; North Shore and Coast Mountains in background.
Photograph depicts the Stanley Park causeway and pedestrian underpass.
Cars driving on curved entrance road; road flanked on either side by short lamp posts; pedestrians walking on underpass underneath causeway; Lost Lagoon to left of causeway; forested area and mountains in background.
Cars traveling north on curved road cutting through park; three pedestrians about to enter pedestrian underpass underneath the causeway; Lost Lagoon to left of causeway; North Shore mountains in background.
Photograph depicts the original Lumberman's Arch in Stanley Park. Lumberman's Arch was constructed by the Lumberman's Union in 1912 to commemorate the visit of the Duke of Connaught. It originally stood along his procession route, at Homer and Pender. It was moved to Stanley Park and remained there until 1947 when it was condemned and demolished. A replacement structure was erected in 1952.
Grassy field with evergreen trees in foreground; wooden log replica of Parthenon temple in middle of image; ships in the harbour in background.
Photograph depicts the Seven Sisters in Stanley Park. The Seven Sisters were a group of very large Douglas Fir and Cedar trees in the park which began to rot and decay around the turn of the century. The decay progressed as time went on and the Parks Board, considering them a safety hazard, wanted them felled. There was much public outcry towards this solution and in the 1940s, the Parks Board had them topped. By 1961, however, after most of the trees has rotted and crumbled away, the Parks Board finally had them all cut down.
Grove of seven large evergreen trees, tops are not visible; deciduous shrubbery around trunks of trees; dirt path with tire tread in foreground.
Photograph depicts the Stanley Park Pavilion and lily pond, with the Harding Memorial at right.
Stanley Park Pavilion is a Class A heritage building, designed by architect Otto Moberg to house the Vancouver Park Board. The 1911 Craftsman-style building features low-pitched gables; exposed, overhanging roof rafters; and a stone chimney. Moberg also built chalets and lodges at Banff and Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies for the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Photograph depicts the Robbie Burns Memorial statue in Stanley Park. The statue was unveiled on August 25, 1928 by J. Ramsay MacDonald, then Prime Minister of Britain. The statue was rededicated on the 200th anniversary of Burns' death, July 21, 1996, by the Burns Club of Vancouver.
Metal statue atop concrete pillar of man in breeches, vest, and top coat with arms crossed; monkey tree visible to left of statue; various other trees and foliage in background.