- CA JMABC A.1985.001-1-25-LF.00474
- July 28, 1960
Parte de Leonard Frank Photos studio fonds
Photograph depicts the construction of the new plant of Smith Lithograph Co. Ltd. on Lulu Island. Lulu Island is the geographic name of the island making up most of the City of Richmond. It was named in 1862, after Lulu Sweet, a popular showgirl, possibly of Hawaiian origin, who was dating the mayor of New Westminster when the island was named.
Exterior shot of two story concrete building under construction; wood frame of second story appears to be nearly complete; five construction workers on roof of building; grassy field in foreground.
Title box in bottom right corner reads "SMITH LITHOGRAPH CO. LTD. NEW PLAN, LULU ISLAND, B.C.", "PHILLIPS, BARRATT & PARTNERS ENGINEERS", "SMITH BROS. & WILSON LIMITED GENERAL CONTRACTORS", "No. 8 DATE JULY 28, 1960 FACING S.W."