Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Moving images
- Sound recording
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Congregation Schara Tzedeck
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Congregation Schara Tzedeck, a Modern Orthodox Synagogue, is the oldest and largest Orthodox Synagogue in Vancouver. It has been in existence since 1907, when it was known by the name of Benei Yehuda. The first services were held in a small rented home, at 14 West Cordova Street. In 1910 the ‘Sons of Israel’ purchased property at Pender Street and Heatley Avenue, and by 1911 a Synagogue was built large enough to hold 200 worshipers. The congregation was renamed “Schara Tzedeck”, upon being legally incorporated on June 14, 1917. In 1921 the new synagogue opened at Heatley and Pender and it was used until the end of 1947. This building had a capacity of 600.
On September 13, 1945, the site of the present Synagogue was purchased. Building was started in 1947 and completed by the end of September of that year. The Synagogue was officially opened on January 25, 1948. At that time it was the most modern and largest Synagogue west of Montreal. The Synagogue was designed to be a house of prayer (Bait Tefila), House of Learning (Beit Midrash), and House of Meeting (Beit Knesset). The oak Aron Kodesh which presently is seen on entering the main sanctuary was built originally in about 1921 for the Synagogue at Heatley and Pender.
On October 2, 1957 the Congregation acquired the property immediately to the north of the Synagogue. The purpose was to accommodate offices, classrooms, a large auditorium, and other facilities. Construction began in the early part of 1963 and it was completed for the High Holidays of the same year.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of administrative and operational records of Congregation Schara Tzedeck.
Fonds is arranged into 3 series: Textual records; Audio-visual; and photographs.